Monday, October 27, 2008

Day 2 - 10/27/08


I awoke up clinging to my pillow, scared to get out of bed and head to work to face my unsuspecting co-workers – including my boss, whom I’d failed to tell about the billboard contest.

The morning receptionist’s jaw dropped to the floor (okay, perhaps slightly less). Then she said, “I recognized your voice but not your face. You have such pretty eyes.” She seems to be rooting for me to perhaps transition to a military bob. When our former naval male receptionist saw me, he said I reminded him of a female drill sargeant.

Gail, who helps me manage our office suite could only exclaim: “Oh, my God.” As I tried to explain why my head was shaved, she repeated: “Oh, my God!” "Gail, I get a free airline ticket --"  "Oh, my God!"  All she could say for about five minutes was: "Oh, my God!!" 

In contrast, my boss who had been warned by two people to "brace himself" thought I was a sight fit for uproarious laughter.  He must have laughed for as long as Gail shouted: "Oh, my God!" 

Other tenants in our suite suggested I wear a wig or hat to stay warm in our suite which runs about two degrees warmer than Antartica.  I told them I’d consider a wig after I’ve been a billboard for 10 days.  They asked how Air New Zealand would know if I wore a wig at the office.  I said: "I would know."  How can a become a Kiwi if I cover up my billboard?

Lunch on the sidewalk of Wilshire Boulevard near Bundy, just outside of Quizno’s:
After staring at me for a bit, a woman approached and asked: “Do you have breast cancer?” I thanked her for asking and explained: “I’m promoting Air New Zealand’s nonstop flights from LAX to Auckland” and showed her the back of my head. She said: “Oh, that’s why people were staring at the back of your head.” She clearly spoke to me concerned that people had just stopped and stared at the back of my skull, no doubt thinking: “poor thing.”

The next woman who sat down at a neighboring table asked what was up with my head. I told her about Air New Zealand. She said “My boyfriend is from New Zealand. I’ve spent about four months there. It’s an amazing place.” It turns out her boyfriend is actually 2nd (or maybe 3rd) cousins with Phil Keoghan. She was pleased to know that hair was donated to “Locks of Love” since she’s growing hers out to be long enough to cut for a donation. I told her my hair probably was only long enough for a toupee.

When her colleague joined her at the table, she told him why my head was shaved and he lit up raving about his trip to New Zealand with his family. He had just turned 50 and they had adventures in New Zealand, then flew to Tonga and sailed around the island.

Later a female attorney in our law office asked me what the deal was. I explained, and she said: "I see, I see." But it was clear, she didn't see. Her subtext blared: YOU'RE NUTS! YOU'RE NUTS! But then again, I don't think she's ever been to New Zealand.

1 comment:

Rob Powers said...

One of the most profound realizations for me has been the drastic difference in which women and men are treated based on physical looks and appearance. I did this together with my close friend Rita that had long, flowing red hair prior to the shaving. The differences between how people react to me and how they react to her has really opened my eyes to how much more women are faced with extremely rigid expectations about their physical appearance. For me it's been mostly pats on the back and responses of "cool" but Rita has faced many blank stares or even looks of contempt when she has gone out by herself. We all know that the person inside doesn't change or become less valuable just because of a change on the outside. However, I'm realizing that many people don't understand this. In many ways the head shaving is a real eye opener and a liberating experience that is a catalyst for building inner strength. We are all more than merely our physical form. This process has re-affirmed that truth for me.