Monday, October 27, 2008

HEY, AIR NEW ZEALAND DYED MY CRANIUM!




DAY 1 - 10/26/08

Before arriving at Fairfax High School, I prayed: "God, if I'll look awful without hair, please make my skull the wrong size for Air New Zealand's cranial billboard.  After my skull measured 24 inches, I asked one of the staff what was the minimum size head.  I was told an 18-19 incher would be too much of a pinhead, but most others were acceptable.  Hmmm, if I'd look bad bald, maybe being a pinhead was a good thing.

As I considered withdrawing my application, I noticed a beautiful bald woman signing up.  She turned out to be 19 year old Kylie Bamberger.  She lost her hair at 15, due to Alopecia.  Seeing Kylie showed me bald can be beautiful.  "Hey, I think I can do this."  


Better yet, while 30 of us snagged either a roundtrip coach ticket LAX to Auckland, New Zealand or $777, Locks of Love would receive all the cut hair.

I found out later approximately 200 heads applied for the gig.  10 women applied and 5 of us were chosen.  The gleam in the PR folks eyes as women signed up, made me think being female increased my skull's chances for selection.

Phil Keoghan, host of "The Amazing Race" - a Kiwi himself (who is quite fond of flying Air New Zealand Business Class) announced the 30 chosen craniums.


SHAVED SKULL:
Hmm, suddenly my head feels like the warm chin of a freshly shaved man.  While we waited for our henna tattoos to dry, the newly bald compared notes.  If you touch a bare skull while speaking, you can feel good vibrations.


WHOLE FOODS:
People glanced from my face then looked away and I realized they must think I was in chemo or had recently had brain surgery.  As I checked out, the man behind me noticed my skull and said: "Great advertising."  Thank God.  Someone finally realized "NEED A CHANGE? HEAD DOWN TO NEW ZEALAND.  www.airnewzealand.com" was a positive message.

I could have hugged him for making me feel my head had a purpose.  We chatted about my being a cranial billboard for the airline.   He was disappointed he had not known about the competition because he clearly would have been willing to give up what little hair he had.

On the phone that evening, friends and family were disappointed I hadn't insisted on flying business class.  They didn't understand I wanted to revisit New Zealand so badly that I would have been willing to fly Air New Zealand strapped to a wing. Since it's a 12 hour flight, I would have definitely bundled up. . . .

Looking in the mirror, I keep asking: "Who are you?"  Eating dinner, I watched myself in the mirror.  With my bare skull, I can see my mandible work hard from my temple to my jawbone when I chew food.

No comments: