Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tonight the Santa Monica Police Came to my Apartment!

Gee, every day is full of surprises when your head is shaved.  This is DAY 4.  On Day 2, my co-worker who kept saying "Oh, my God!" also asked if I was about to go postal.  Until tonight, I thought the conversation was irrelevant.  Gail said: "Well, you know before somebody goes postal (and shoots up a post office), they snap.  You look like you've snapped."

Last night I told my sister-in-law I was a little depressed at the lack of support from many women at my office.

Today, I went off to work without my cell phone and then took a yoga class right after work.  I got home about 8:15 and as I walked toward the elevator, two Santa Monica policemen entered our building lobby and said: "Are you Terry Gardner?"  And I said "yes," initially thinking "Gee, is Air New Zealand playing a joke on me?"  But then the cops - who were very cute - fireman cute (which made me wish my head had even an inch of hair) said: "Are you okay?"  I said: "yes."  

They said: "Please call your brother, Ma'am.  He's very worried about you.  He told us that you'd shaved your head. . . ."  

Aha, that's why they suspected I was Terry Gardner.

The policemen asked me to tell my neighbor who had buzzed me in that I was okay.  They left.  I told my neighbor, Mike, I was fine.  Sadly, Mike and I rarely ever speak -- I think he's always thought I'm weird.  As I stood there with my shaved head explaining I was a human billboard I knew I wasn't help establishing my normalcy in Mike's eyes.

I called my brother and sister-in-law, and they were so relieved.  So after the mixed reception I've received at work, tonight I felt very loved, and I know the Santa Monica police respond very quickly.  Better yet, there are some cute cops here.  I've only seen heftier ones out on the street on bicycles.  

So things are looking up.

OKAY, FELLOW CRANIAL BILLBOARDS, have the cops come to check on you or what?  Post your most interesting tales.  PLEASE.

No comments: