Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Who is behind the shell?

One of the most profound realizations for me has been the drastic difference in which women and men are treated based on physical looks and appearance. I did this together with my close friend Rita that had long, flowing red hair prior to the shaving. The differences between how people react to me and how they react to her has really opened my eyes to how much more women are faced with extremely rigid expectations about their physical appearance. For me it's been mostly pats on the back and responses of "cool" but Rita has faced many blank stares or even looks of contempt when she has gone out by herself. We all know that the person inside doesn't change or become less valuable just because of a change on the outside. However, I'm realizing that many people don't understand this. In many ways the head shaving is a real eye opener and a liberating experience that is a catalyst for building inner strength. We are all more than merely our physical form. This process has re-affirmed that truth for me.

No comments: