Saturday, November 15, 2008

GEE, MY BILLBOARD IS ALMOST GONE

After the initial trauma of having my head shaved. . . twice in one week, each day less of my henna tattoo is legible -- both fading and obscured by hair.

Despite the side glances from passerbys who believe I'm either a chemo patient or recovering from brain surgery, anyone who paused long enough to read my skull was intrigued. Now I feel like my head in disappearing into the punk scene -- perhaps I need to join a band. . . .

I've started wondering whether some re-applied henna over my hair might revitalize my tattoo. Or what if only the back of my head was re-shaved for a fresh henna tat? Would that make me some kind of mullet billboard?

If John McCain had seen one of our 30 cranial billboards, might he have desperately made Sarah shave her head? The day our heads were shaved, many billboards really wanted a henna Obama applied to the side of our craniums. Fortunately, Barack won without such cranial support.

A friend has a t-shirt that reads: "Once you vote Barack, you can never go back." I think we billboards will never quite be the same either. After all, now that I've shaved my head for adventure, I may just need to marry a Kiwi while I'm in New Zealand. Besides I'm old enough to have already been through one marriage. . . .

No comments: