Friday, November 7, 2008

Report from a Kiwi - Paul C.




To all those who don't speak Kiwi - (technically Maori, New Zealand's native tribe), here are two phrases to pack for your trip: Kia Ora (also the name of ANZ's flight magazine) literally translates: "be well/healthy" -- it expresses good will or gratitude -- typically not a sentiment found in traffic on an LA freeway.




Kia Kaha means: literally 'be strong'; roughly "be of good heart, we are supporting you"

To study more New Zealand English, go to: http://www.tvwiki.tv/wiki/New_Zealand_English

Paul reported to Sarah, our billboard wrangler: Kia Ora. The owner of the company wasn't too pleased --

Owner: You need to grow your hair or wear a hat cause you look like s*%t!!!

Paul: Oh well !! (but dreaming of New Zealand)

Although Paul viewed his billboard as water off a bald head, his employer didn't think much of his free speech.

On a brighter note, Bugs & Daffy loved my head at Magic Mountain.

Paul says a variety of people were intrigued and enthusiastic about his deployment as a cranial billboard. It was especially entertaining to watch reactions while waiting in long lines for a ride. Just seeing people's expressions as they wanted to look -- but tried not to look until Paul encouraged them. Once Paul welcomed their viewing, people were "all up in the business (when, how, what)."


"One business man actually from New Zealand called me the smartest person he has met in a while (the complete opposite from the comments from my own boss!!! Gee, maybe I need to look at my work status????).

If Air New Zealand needs any more promotional assistance from Paul's cranium, he'll be happy to step up (as would I this moderator -- if I could keep at least the peach fuzz covering my pate).

Paul says: "I would be glad to represent Air New Zealand & my country that I love!!!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed every part of this journey from the selection , the shaving and the comradery of all that were selected."

Go, billboards -- what an adventure this has been. And yet it's nothing compared to what awaits us in New Zealand -- a land of pristine beauty calling all kayakers, divers, rafters, parapenters and hang gliders!!

No comments: